Just do it, use social media!

We have already been talking pretty much about social media in this blog, but I’m sorry, I just couldn’t help it.

I found an interesting article about the differences between brand marketing and PR. Here is a clear summary of those differences

And then I found a nice blog ,written by a former Australian PR expertist, in which the differences between marketing and PR are discussed in the point of view of social media usage. I find that blog on the whole quite interesting, so need to check if there is something more to write about too.

Anyhow, about the social media and PR the blogger, Grant Common, is writing that social media means both opportunity and challenge for PR. It should be a natural extension of the PR already being done and besides it gives an opportunity to consolidate PR’s role in the organization. The threat on the contrary is if the marketing department takes the social media for itself. If that happens there is a chance that possibility to use social media as tool to build stakeholder goodwill and dialogue may be undermined and it simply becomes another promotional tool.

Those different goals of using the social media can be read more carefully in that Grant’s blog. Besides, he writes in his text, the PR practitioners need to learn how to use the social media and how to become expert in it to get in under they control, not to lose it for the marketers. Well yeah, isn’t it that’s why we are blogging in this course?

Written by Akviliina

2 comments:

  1. Really interesting! I believe that social media and how to use it, is also an issua that concerns organizations all over the world. It is interesting to see how the social media usage developes in the organizations and is it going to be purely marketing tool or something much more..

    ReplyDelete