A few numbers from Down Under

I'm looking out my window. It's dark and cold outside in good ol' Jyväskylä. I wouldn't mind a spot of the Australian sun and heat right about now. Heck, I'd even swap Olvi for Fosters and ice hockey for rugby while we're at it.

Besides, looking at some figures of the Australian PR industry, I can think of worse places for a man to be professionally - as well as personally - speaking. First major consultancy established in 1947, revenue of more than $1 billion per annum, the industry employs up to 14,000 people... so not bad. But alas, some things are familiar o'er there as well: journalists don't trust you.

Tuomas


Oh, and P.S.:

If I was down to my last dollar, I'd spend it on public relations.
- Bill Gates

5 comments:

  1. hmmm... i think that 14,000 people for a continent like Australia is not that much...

    Maria Kellner

    ReplyDelete
  2. And do we always trust the journalists?

    ReplyDelete
  3. 2500 members in PRIA (of those more than 10 000 pr professionals)

    In Finland, 1800 members in Procom. How many pr professionals there are in Finland?

    ReplyDelete
  4. "First major consultancy established in 1947" - so Australia is not among the first in PR, but what is their PR history like in other ways? What about their present situation - obviously they have some problems with the social media and it's important now, but have there been any other big issues, specialities or crises lately?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Australia has been quite isolated country. I have read from Sriramesh's book The Global Public Relations Handbook, that before airmail or internet newspapers and periodicals took months to arrive by sea. That also ment that papers were out of date before they were distributed in Down Under. That kind of circumstances are quite challenging to build PR field, maybe that is one reason why Australia hasn't been in the frontline of PR those "early days" of this profession.

    Now internet offers also Australian professionals instant access to information and professional networks. But before air travel, (first Australian jets flyed across Atlantics in 1959) there were few opportunities for Australian practitioners to meet counterparts from other countries. Regular airservices was an important step in exposing the profession in Australia and also in New Zealand to the ideas of the rest of the world.

    Yet we, or at least I, haven't find other "issues" from Australian PR but we will post them when we have figured these things out.. =)

    ReplyDelete