As you can see our group consist of 4 women, 1 man. And even I can with my “excellent” mathematics skills calculate that it makes 80 % females. Surprisingly (or not) this is exactly the same number as females working in PR field in Finland.
If this group consisted of PR student from Australia or from New Zealand, would “only” 3/5 be women. In both countries approximately 60% of PR practitioners are women.
The situation in Australasia hasn’t though always been like that; public relations was practiced mostly by male journalist in the 1950s, when the profession was born. But as one can read in the Global Public Relations Handbook (by Sriramesh and Vercic) the future PR practitioner in Down Under will be a woman that has a relevant education for the job.
Women who seek to be equal with men lack ambition. - Timothy Leary
-Akki-
Never thought about PR job from that point of view before! And I have to say that in Estonia women also seem to form a majority among PR professionals or at least they are more visible than men in this field :)
ReplyDeleteIs feminization of Public Relations related to the stage of the PR in a specific country or area? I mean is this phenomenon more typical in more economically developed countries?
ReplyDeleteI think feminization of PR is a global trend. I read it also in my sources for Scandinavian PR and I know there are also a lot of women in Austria. But still, the leading positions is in men's hand..
ReplyDeleteMaria Kellner